Ways to Use Candy Canes
If you're looking
for ways to use up all those holiday candy canes, then this article is for you.
Read on for more creative ideas!
I love candy canes, but every December, it seems that my sons
get enough candy canes to last the whole year. (Well, it's not that bad, but I
had to come up with some way to use up those candy canes.) Since discovering all
the ways to use those candy canes, I now buy a variety of boxes of candy canes
after Christmas when I can get them for ten cents a box.
Here are some creative ways to use those candy canes.
1. Each year, I like to hang candy canes on the Christmas tree. Not only do they
look pretty, but if you get hungry, you can grab one as a snack.
2. Try stringing a row of candy canes across the top of an entryway or fireplace
mantle. You can also use the canes to decorate wreaths.
3. Last year, my sons made Christmas cards for their grandmothers using candy
canes. They joined two canes together on the front to form a heart shape.
4. You can use candy canes to make decorations and crafts. Someone in our home
school group made beautiful candle holders for the centerpiece decoration at our
Christmas potluck. She bought 5/8-inch size dowels and cut them in to four-inch
sections. After painting them red, she used hot glue to attach the candy canes
to the dowel (upside down with the hook away from the dowel). The bottom of the
candle rests on the dowel in the center of the candy canes. She added some
greenery to the bottom, but you could also add a ribbon around the center.
Depending on how crafty you are, you can probably come up with several craft
ideas for candy canes.
5. Put a couple candy canes in gift baskets or use them with a ribbon as
decoration on top of your Christmas gifts.
6. Crush some candy canes and add them to hot apple cider. You can also use a
candy cane as a stirrer for your hot chocolate, tea, or coffee. The flavor of
your beverage can change depending on whether you choose peppermint, chocolate
mint, cinnamon, cherry or any other flavor.
7. Break up candy canes and drop them into a two-liter bottle of ginger ale. Add
this to your punch for a wonderful beverage at your Christmas party.
8. If you're having a sit-down Christmas party, use candy canes as part of each
9. Chop up candy canes and sprinkle them on an ice cream sundae.
10. Add crushed candy canes to brownies, cookie batter, or rice krispy treats.
The canes add a unique flavor and crunch and also make a colorful cookie.
11. Use crushed candy canes to decorate your cut-out Christmas cookies.
12. Also try adding crushed candy canes to your frosting for a unique candy cane
13. White Almond and Candy Cane Bark
Melt 1/2 package of white almond bark. Stir in 6 to 8 crushed candy canes. Pour
the mixture onto wax paper and cool to room temperature. Break into serving size
14. Try making decorative ornaments with them. See Stained
Glass Cookies for a recipe.
Are you mailing cookies to someone this year? Check out How
To Ship Cookies So They Will Arrive Fresh and Undamaged for some great tips.
Here are some great recipes for making ornaments:
Scented Holiday Ornaments (2
Don't forget to check out our other holiday articles and recipes on our Holiday